Once someone told me, if you have nothing to say at all, talk about the weather. Well I have a bucket load to talk about but the weather is the most exciting thing right now. It’s like summer in Germany but in the South we call it spring. I am still not used to it and it feels weird especially if I talk to my family because they just stopped wearing boots a couple of days ago. And it is awesome at the same time, how nice is it to sit outside at night, chatting with neighbors and having a beer? We have the windows wide open all day and my lab Lily is sleeping outside in the sun, just coming in to cool down from time to time.
After all the renovation, moving and getting settled, we finally are ready to enjoy our new city. I am still feeling like a stranger in a strange town but getting to know what Atlanta has to offer, will hopefully help me to feel more like home. We started to get our bikes ready, that means I bought some spare parts and an air-pump and Mr. F is going to fix everything, division of work is very necessary in life.
Back in Germany our Sunday morning bicycle tours were legendary. We would get up as early as possible without alarm clock, jump in our sport clothes, pack something for a later breakfast and we were out and about. Without aiming for a target, we left our neighborhood, when the city, passing by fields and meadows until hunger struck and we found a nice place for an impromptu breakfast.The healthy morning glory muffins would be something we would pull out of our backpacks. Just filling enough and with loads of energy. Coffee out of a thermos jug completed the breakfast. And after a short break we heated home again, ready for shower and lunch with our family. What a great way to start a Sunday! I am looking forward to get on my bike again and explore Atlanta in the morning hours while most of the city is still sleeping.
The healthy morning glory muffins
- 100 g / 3.5 oz. old fashioned oats (1 cup)
- 100 g / 3.5 oz. whole wheat flour (¾ cup)
- 150 g / 5.3 oz. all-purpose flour (1 ¼ cups)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. fine sea salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 150 ml / 2/3 cup milk (2%)
- 60 ml / ¼ cup vegetable oil (I used walnut oil)
- 100g /3.5 oz. honey (70 ml / 1/3 cup)
- 50 g / 1.8 oz. light brown sugar (¼ cup)
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ Tbsp. orange zest (use organic if available)
- 100 g / 3.5 oz. grated carrots (from about 2 midsize carrots, again organic so I can skip the peeling)
- Preheat your oven to 190 C/ 375 F and line your muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl add flours, oats, salt, baking powder and cinnamon (yes all dry ingredients beside sugar please) and stir.
- In a large bowl add milk, oil, honey, sugar, eggs and mix well, a little stirring with a rubber spatula is well enough.
- Add orange zest and grated carrots and stir again.
- Add dry ingredients and stir just until incorporated.
- Scoop into muffin cups and bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
- If you like to add a glaze:
- Heat 3 Tbsp. orange marmalade (microwave oven works great) to liquefy. Brush on top of cooled muffins. Enjoy!